The Video Essay is one component of the application and provides you with an additional opportunity to demonstrate what you will bring to our vibrant Kellogg community – in an interactive way. You will respond to several short video essay questions. The questions are designed to bring to life the person we have learned about on paper.
- After submitting an application and payment, you will be able to access the video essay through the your application status page. One question will be a “get to know you” icebreaker type of question. The second question will be an opportunity to describe your plans for the future and how Kellogg will help you on that journey. The other questions will be randomly generated questions that will be similar to interview questions.
- There are practice questions that you may complete as many times as you like to get comfortable with the format and technology. The practice questions and experience will simulate the actual video essay experience, so this is meant to be a useful tool to help you feel prepared.
- We encourage you to practice so you are comfortable with the format once it is time to complete the official questions. There is not an opportunity to re-do the answer to the official video essay questions.
- You will have 20 seconds to think about the question and up to one minute to give your response.
- We estimate the video essays will take 20-25 minutes to complete – which includes time for set-up and answering all the practice questions. You will need an internet connected computer with a webcam, microphone and an updated version of Adobe Flash in order to complete the video essay.
We’ve written in detail about the video essay, and no matter what school you’re applying to, the same general principles apply. Read our 7 Tips for Preparing the Dreaded Live Video MBA Essay.
You can also read through our team’s analysis of the rest of Kellogg’s application essays.
Read more and explore each step of the Kellogg full-time MBA application process here.
We require GMAT or GRE scores for the One-Year MBA, Two-Year MBA and MMM programs. You must report your scores by the application deadline. JD-MBA applicants can only submit a GMAT score.
Please request that official test scores are sent to Kellogg by using one of the following school codes:
- Our GMAT code is 6WZ-3J-89
- Our GRE code is 7921
We will record the highest valid score but encourage you to report additional scores received after submission of your application. However, there is no guarantee the new score will be evaluated when the Admissions Committee reviews your file. To do this, please sign in to your application and then add your update in the supplemental information page. Also be sure to report your official scores to Kellogg using one of the school codes listed above.
- We do not require a minimum GMAT or GRE score
- The GMAT or GRE is just one criterion our admissions team considers and not the only indicator for success in business school
- The total GMAT or GRE score is based on your performance on the Quantitative and Verbal sections only
- GMAT/GRE scores are valid for five years