How should I go about choosing my topic?
Begin by reading the explanations below. Examples of each are provided below!
- Division Essay: find a topic that people might tend to underestimate or over-simplify. In other words, choose something that the average person might not know much about, and therefore can't really understand how complex or interesting that topic really is. Your job in the essay will be to break your topic down into meaningful and important categories.
- Classification Essay: think about the categories we place things in everyday and the characteristics of those categories. The topic you choose should allow you to argue that something has been misplaced.
How should I organize this essay?
As you write, keep these guidelines in mind:
- Your thesis statement and introduction will need to explain why these divisions/ classifications should matter to your reader.
- Your thesis statement and introduction MUST define or explain the category you plan to discuss (i.e. A sport is a competitive, physical activity therefore cheerleading should be considered a sport.)
- You should organize your body paragraphs so that each division or category has it's own paragraph or section. (i.e. cardio exercise is paragraph 1 and weightlifting is paragraph 2, etc.)
Division Essay Examples
If you want to lose weight, simply saying that you're going to "exercise" everyday may not be the most effective way to do so. Exercising is more complex than many people realize--attaining your goals will involve understanding how different types of exercise can help you achieve your goals.
Types of Exercise
- cardio: burns calories and strengthens your heart (running, using an elliptical or stair-stepping machine, etc.)
- weight lifting: tones muscles, increases physical strength, burns fat (using weights or weighted machines)
- recreational/sports: depending on the sport, can provide both cardio and toning benefits (cycling, tennis, kayaking)
We could also narrow this topic down a bit further and write about the important differences between different types of cycling.
Types of Cycling: stationary (exercise) biking, road biking, mountain biking, recreational biking
Classification Essay Examples
To write this type of essay, we'll need to think about things that should or should not be placed in a particular category.Example: Batman (that's our topic!) is not a superhero (category people place him in), but is simply a local vigilante (category he belongs in).
Ask yourself: Why do I think that...?
- Does not possess super powers (powers most humans don't possess).
- Chooses to be a hero, rather than being "chosen" by others/other forces.
Example: Cheerleading (That's our topic!) should be considered a sport (It belongs in the category, "sports").
Ask yourself: Why do I think that...?
- cheerleaders go to "practice" and must be in good physical shape
- cheerleaders work together toward a common goal
- cheerleaders must "try out" for their squad and often compete against other squads
Custom Essay is providing qualified assistance with Division and Classification Essays. Please, learn more about our service in this quick guide:
Sports constitute a meaningful part of human life, as they reinforce both body and mind, or willpower. Individuals often try to classify sports "for themselves": into more or less favored, into water and ground-based sports, and so forth. In the Olympic games and other official competitions, sports are classified into two main groups, winter (e.g. skiing, ice hockey) and summer (e.g. judo, gymnastics, light athletics) sports activities.
1) The major characteristic of summer sports is the necessity to maintain high "summer" temperatures in the places of training.
2) The major characteristic of winter sports is the necessity of snow or ice.
Primary issues to discuss.
1) Which kinds of sports are most popular in the United States?
2) Can wheelchair sports be categorized into a separate group? Why or why not?
- Continue by reviewing some general information on division and classification essays.
- Also, review additional topics for division and classification essays, including:
> brief description of the suggested division and classification essay topic;
> possible thesis statements for the essay;
> primary issues that can be discussed in the essay;
> some readings and sources suggested by our writers for the topic.
Selected topics for division and classification essay were split into one category:
Classify and describe sports
Still uncertain about further steps with your essay or other writing assignment? Let our professional writers assist you with this burden. Please, read about our services, open a quality issue ticket at Custom Essay support system or place an order to get customized solution that fits exactly your needs.